Winston-Salem is located in central North Carolina’s Piedmont Region offering easy access to both the mountains and the beautiful coast. It is considered North Carolina’s “City of the Arts and Innovation” and boasts a wealth of cultural offerings, history, business opportunities and charm. Winston-Salem is in the county seat of Forsyth County, and is the fourth-largest city in the state. It is often referred to as the “Twin City” for its dual heritage, although “Camel City” is another popular nickname, referring to the city’s prominent tobacco industry (after RJR’s Camel cigarettes).
The Old Salem district and related Historic Bethabara sites are the city’s oldest historical attractions. Also of historical interest is Reynolda Village (which includes Reynolda Gardens and the Reynolda House Museum of American Art). Other sites of interest include Wake Forest University, Tanglewood Park, Horne Creek Historic Farm, SciWorks educational facility, Reynolda Village (which includes Reynolda Gardens and the Reynolda House Museum of American Art) and SECCA, the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art. Winston-Salem is home to the nation’s first arts council, the world-renowned University of North Carolina School of the Arts, the National Black Theatre Festival, the Trade Street arts district and local galleries and museums that offer impressive exhibits and stimulating programming.
- Known as the Twin Cities. Salem founded in 1766 and Winston in 1851. Became Winston-Salem in 1913.
- Winston-Salem is in Forsyth County, in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, and is the fourth-largest city in North Carolina.
- The city has a population of about 227,000 and an area of 132.4 square miles.
- The median household income is $37,000 per year.
- The average temperatures range between 40º and 78º (58º) Fahrenheit.
- Major businesses include Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, Novant Health, HanesBrands Inc., Reynolds American, GMAC Insurance, Dewey’s Bakery/Salem Baking and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts.
- Colleges and universities include Winston-Salem State University, Wake Forest University, Salem College, Piedmont Bible College, Forsyth Technical Community College and University of North Carolina School of the Arts.
LOCAL BUSINESS RESOURCES
- Better Business Bureau of Northwest North Carolina
- Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership
- NC Wines
- Old Salem
- Piedmont Triad Research Park
- Piedmont Triad Partnership
- Piedmont Triad International Airport
- Reynolda House
- City of Winston-Salem
- Forsyth County
- Town of Lewisville
- Town of King/Stokes County
- Town of Kernersville
- Village of Clemmons
- Village of Tobaccoville
- NC Public Schools and Test Scores
- Davidson schools
- Davie schools
- Forsyth Technical Community College
- Salem College
- Stokes schools
- Surry schools
- UNC School of the Arts
- Wake Forest University
- Winston-Salem State University
- Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School System
- Yadkin Schools
Ellen Dudley, CRS, GRI, e-PRO, CBR, REALTOR, Broker
Realty One Group Results
150 Charlois Blvd
Winston Salem, NC 27103
Cell: (336) 575-7249
Fax: (336) 283-6884